What are the qualifications required to register for the admission exam in Master? What is the Master’s project?

This is a project that can be developed over the course of an applicant’s studies, perhaps in the context of the diploma. ECAL does not, however, expect applicants to submit finalized project plans on registration. Applicants usually submit ideas or outlines that they then develop over the course of their studies.

Is there a limit to the size of the portfolio?

Yes, in that applicants are asked to submit a portfolio that is representative of their recent work. Applicants thus select the work they want to present.

Is it possible to work at the same time as I complete the Master programme?

The ECAL Master programme is full time. The time spent in courses and workshops, along with the hours spent on course-related personal work, leave little time for a student job.

Does ECAL offer French classes for non-French-speaking students?

No, not at the moment.

Can I register for one of the ECAL Master entrance exams if my Bachelor is not in arts and design?

Yes, but only for the Master in Film Studies, which comprises various options (direction, editing, screenplays, sound and production). For the other Masters (Fine Arts, Product Design, Photography and Type Design). applicants must have a Bachelor in a related field. Don’t hesitate to contact the ECAL Secretariat if you have any questions.

Can I register for two Master entrance exams at ECAL at the same time?

Yes, if you have the requisite diplomas. Don’t hesitate to contact the ECAL Secretariat if you have any questions.

What are the languages of instruction?

Courses and workshops are in French in the Foundation Year and at Bachelor level (some Bachelor workshops are in English). Master / MAS programmes are for the most part bilingual (English/French). Fluency in French is therefore essential for the Foundation Year and Bachelor programmes. The same applies to English at least for Master programmes.

Do I need a language certificate to enrol in an ECAL course?

Yes. For the Foundation Year and Bachelor programmes, non-French-speaking applicants who have not attended school in Switzerland must be able to attest that they are proficient in French at the B2 level of the European Language Portfolio. The B2 level is required on registration.

Generally speaking, language proficiency is also checked by the juries during the entrance exam.

Does ECAL have a residence?

ECAL has neither a residence nor a campus, but it can, to a limited extent, help students looking for accommodation. As the housing market in the Lake Geneva area is relatively tight, students are advised to make arrangements well in advance.

Can ECAL act as a guarantor on a lease signed by a foreign student?

No, not at the moment.

Practical informations

Due to a relatively difficult housing situation in Lausanne area and its surroundings, it should be brought to attention that finding accommodation can take several months. Students are therefore invited to begin their search as soon as they receive their acceptance letter.

The price of studios and apartments starts at CHF 600.- per month. Additionally, most agencies and owners will require a 3 months safety deposit. Therefore, to rent a CHF 600.- per month studio, will cost you CHF 2'400.- the first month. Nevertheless, you can go with an insurance company such as Swisscaution:, which will pay the safety deposit for you in exchange of a yearly fee.

The following solutions are available:

Student houses

FSLE (Fondation Solidarité Logement pour étudiant·e·s)
UNIL – Anthropole - Bureau 1128.2
M. Eran Shoshani, directeur admnistratif
1015 Lausanne
Tél. +41 (0)21 692 25 92
Mobile : +41 (0)78 626 40 84

Résidence "La Meute"
On a "first come, first served" basis and with equal applications, ECAL students will have priority. They will be able to use all the facilities, including the common areas such as the art space and the workshop.
Rent : ~ CHF 700.- per month. Room size : ~12 m2

FMEL (Fondation Maisons pour étudiant·e·s Lausanne)
Bâtiment Vortex - BP 927 - Rte de Praz-Véguey 29
1022 Chavannes-près-Renens
Tél. +41 (0)21 617 81 54

Régie Foncière SA
5, rue de la Fontaine
1204 Genève
Tél. +41 (0)22 817 08 17

Student Flat
38, ch. de Mornex
1001 Lausanne

Rooms for rent

Résidence l'ancienne Usine
FAM Immobilier SA
7, rue de la Paix
1020 Renens
Tél. +41 (0)21 633 08 30 

Le Cazard
15, Pré du Marché
1004 Lausanne
Tél. +41 (0)21 320 52 61

Centre universitaire catholique
Boulevard de Grancy 31
1006 Lausanne
Tel +41 (0)21 612 61 40

Online agencies (main addresses)

Facebook Group

Scholarships & school fees
I am a foreign student. Can I obtain a scholarship in Switzerland?

Educational assistance (grants or student loans) is awarded by the cantons and is intended for Swiss students (nationals, foreign permanent residents and persons with refugee status). It is not available to foreign citizens residing in Switzerland for the purposes of study only. However, the Swiss Confederation offers excellence scholarships to foreign students, researchers and artists for a period of study or research in Switzerland.

I am resident abroad. Will my tuition at ECAL be higher than for a student resident in Switzerland?

Except for the Foundation Year, where the course fees are determined by the student’s domicile, tuition is the same for all students in the same Bachelor, Master or MAS programme.

Does ECAL offer evening or summer courses? Can I sign up just for certain specific courses or workshops?

No, not at the moment.

Can I have a tour of ECAL?

Apart from events organised by the ECAL (various exhibitions, Open Day, etc.), no individual visits are permitted. Group visits can be organised, but should be planned well in advance. In this case, please contact the ECAL Secretariat directly at

My company wishes to hire an ECAL student as an intern or employee. What do I have to do?

Please send the ECAL Secretariat, at, an advert in A4 PDF format containing all the information on the internship or job. The advert will be published on the ECAL intranet. Interested students will contact the advertiser directly.

Any other questions?
Do not hesitate to contact the ECAL secretariat for any further information.

Tél. +41 (0)21.316.99.39

Contact us